Thread: The Tennis Ball Game

Default The Tennis Ball Game

Robert,
    I just read your Digest #31-article on The Tennis Ball Game and have a couple of questions. It appears to be a very good ,low stress, way to teach a pup to deliver to hand. I am assuming that you "PAY"toss is just like a Fun Bumper? And is there any problem transitioning the pup to bumpers/birds from a ball?
    I have never used anything but paint rollers-rolled sox-or a small soft canvas bumper to train my pups to deliver to hand but lately had an issue with my 2 yr old YLM to where he dropped two ducks and acouple of pheasant at my feet or next to the boat. We didn't lose any of them but I do not like my dinner dropped on the ground. I revisited FF( calmly) with him and for the last 6-8 outings haven't had a problem but I think I'll try your method on the next pup this spring. and would it be good to revivit delivery to hand using your Game just to keep pup on the Ball(pun)?
    Thanks,
    Ralph Nestor

Ralph,
    Here is the video clip. Notice I pay (with tennis ball toss) for delivery to hand of a dummy. Further, I pay for the delivery to hand of the dummy when it is grasped on the body. I don't pay when it is delivered held by the rope.

Reinforcing delivery to hand
    Buccleuch Temperance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOkq9fsSkI

Thanks Robert--it's about -18F here today so after my workout at Gym I think I'll rig a tennis ball with rope and take my two year old to my shop to play the TB game just for reinforcement. he's a good dog (2yr YLM) but has high energy and winter blues are getting to him already. As soon as temps rise a bit we will be going to game farm once a week to work both dogs on live birds and keep my wife and i from getting bored although with new snow our snowmobile trails will open shortly and we'll be on the trails daily.
    *** Some of the U-Tube vignettes that came up with yours have NOTHING to do with dog training and almost shocked an old man like me. Things have changed since i grew up in the 50's.
    Last edited by SeniorCoot; 12-14-2010 at 06:39 AM.

I think this is a wonderful method. I have got a German Shepherded and he is now three years old. I was searching for websites to teach him tennis ball game. Luckily I stumbled upon this video. From tomorrow onwards I will be teaching him this game. I will soon let everybody know the progress my dear dog is making.

I am new to the forum and am wondering if there is a way to access past digests. I don't have hi speed and can't view the tennis ball video ,and would like to see digest #31. Thanks.