Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello,
    My name is Robert Ritchie. I am 32 years old and bought my first dog a british lab about nine months ago. i did not buy it from Robert as i had not heard of his kennel at the time. I bought him from Huntfield Kennels in MS. I asked local trainers in my area ideas on training books and videos on what they used and I started to use those. What made me hesitate was I ran across a Rick Flippin video on operant conditioning and I was like wow this is much better. I however at the time could not find enough info to take me from start to finish with the gundog. So after haveing the puppy at home a few months of training him with a place board and steadying him in the home and out in the yard I was still confused on how to take it further. I gave up on that method and went back to my book and started training that way. What I found was when I got to the collar conditioning portion in the book I wound up having a very confused dog. I knew that day in the field while training I was not good enough for that type of training I needed something different. That is when I found all of this information with this forum and Robert's videos and training course. I am very happy that I stumbled upon the info here. I have booked a training seminar in April and hope to learn much more. Any advice you all can give will help trememdously. This is my first dog to train ever and I am positive I have made many mistakes in just 9 months. One of the worst and the one that scares me most was giving him an unrestricted duck this past duck season. I did not hunt him but after the hunt I went and got him out of the kennel to run out in the water as it was a good warm day and I had killed only one duck that moring I was not thinking at all and as he was out goofing off in the water I hollered his name and tossed the duck out. He took off like he was shot from a cannon not like the normal tosses I had been doing. He picked him up and when I bent down to welcome him back he got about 5 yards from me and took off. He wouldnt let me within 10 yards after that and I quit advancing and drove away. 45 minutes later he showed back up. When I put him up I went back to the spot I last saw him and there were 3 feathers there. Since then he has not had a duck and I am nervous to see what will happen when I try to introduce them again. but I have to live with the current mistakes I have made and try to make the best of him. He is very smart and learns quickly specially now that I have quit confusing him. I am hooked though and want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks

Hello Robert. Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about a young dog eating a duck. It is not a big deal. Many years ago when I was running field trials, I had a dog with whom I had been a little too heavy with the electric collar. He tended to walk into the water on water blinds. I found that feeding him a live duck just before his turn came up for the water blind created a fantastic water entry. I made it is a regular practice at field trials to feed him a duck just before the water blind. It did not affect his retrieving skill nor did it affect his gentle delivery to hand.
    Robert Milner

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

Welcome!I had/have many of the sentiments you are feeling with your pup! I just got my first pup, she is 4 months old, and we are having a ball of a time. However, I know I have made some mistakes as well.Keep your head up, and focus on what you are doing well. I tend to focus on what we did wrong. Always keep the positives of training sessions at the forefront. -Thomas