Thread: New to the Forum

Default New to the Forum

Hi,
    I am Robert Ritchie. I am brand new to gundog training. I purchased my fox red british lab in July of 2014. he is progressing nicely i believe at 9 months old and is a pleasure to have in the home. When i was getting this dog i was researching many training methods and came across the operant conditioning. What i didnt find right off was enough information on the training from start to finish so i got nervous and listened to others that said your not going to be able to train that way. So i listened and at 8 months of age i was trying to start collar conditioning and all that happened was i could clearly tell i had a very confused dog. To start out when he was a puppy i used a place board and clicker and treats to train place, kennel, sit, sit with distractions at a young age he had developed a steadiness i never thought he would. but i started reading the book i was going to train with and got through all of the obedience moving to collar conditioning and as stated earlier i had a very confused dog. at that point out in the field it hit me... everything i taught the pup inside the house with cliker and treats this dog knows pretty much flawlessly. So out in the field where i was training that day i decided i was going to hope i had not done to much damage to him and was going to go the operant coditioning route. I get some laughs when i try to tell the local hunters and back yard trainers around here what i am doing and i finally decided i do not care what they think. I am going to try and get as much information on this subject and try my best to make him the dog he should be. I can see it inside of him, he has potential i just hope that i have not messed him up to this point and hope i can learn enough to bring it out in him. He is now 9 months old, is this to old to be changing training methods?? gosh i hope not. Well that is a little about me and my training so far hope to get some good tips that can help me get this dog where i know he can be!!!

Hello Robert,
    Welcome the forum.

A dog is never too old to change training models. He is also never too old to learn. Those principles only apply to many humans.

Best Regards,
    Robert
    Robert Milner

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous