Thread: Proud owner of a DH lab from Maryland's western shore

Default Proud owner of a DH lab from Maryland's western shore

My dog is from a litter of Robert Milner's dog "Boomer" and "North Vale Becca". He was born 11/24/12. And was very much the alpha male of the litter. Very intelligent, very head strong. There was another male that looked just like him. Except he had a white crest on his chest. His name was "Simon". I often wondered if I'd made the right choice. If Simon's owner happens to read this please get in touch. I'd love to hear how he's doing. I took Robert's two day seminar prior to taking my pup home. My daughter's liked the name Boomer so much. We ended up naming ours Boomer as well. He's registered as "Patuxent River Boomer". As we live near the Patuxent River and the Chesapeake.

Despite having trained my dogs sinse the 80's, Robert's clinic made me realize how much I didn't know. I got on the internet and started researching, buying books and CDs, etc. Mostly, I wanted to developed this puppies potential. One of the best things I did was join a retriever club. I joined the Rappahanock Retriever's Club in Remington, VA. This exposed me to AKC Hunt test. And allowed me to pick other dog owner's brain over various training methods.

My dog now has his AKC Senior Hunt Title (retriever side). And this last weekend past two AKC Spaniel Hunt Test (Upland/flushing breeds). All this prior to his 2nd birthday. Everyone is amazed at his steadiness and intelligence. Only two dogs past on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Boomer was one of them on both days.

All I can really claim credit for is not screwing him up. Or him not becoming screwed up dispite my best efforts. What a dog!!! I contacted Robert to let him know how wonderful his pup had turned out and he suggested I share my experience on this Forum.

Look forward to meeting everyone. This is my first forray into an online forum.

I'll attach a couple of my favorite pics of Boomer. I also have a four month old GSP. And am trying to apply the lessons I learned training Boomer to her.

Steve Gateau
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Boomer.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Duck2.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st Senior Hunt test.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoomsFirst Geese.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MasterUplandRibbons.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	390  

Another amateur near you below Hagerstown. i like training the dog, but not seriously enough for trail runs, just for making a hunting retriever.
    If you can't have fun doing it, it's not worth doing ... or you're just doing it wrong!

Rob,

Once the season is over you may want to attend a training day at a local retriever club. Nothing will make your dog a better waterfowler. I assure you. You get work your dog over guns and with live and frozen ducks. In fairly similar situations to hunting. Even if you never enter an AKC event. (Most members don't). It's the best off season training you can get. Usually $15.00 for the live flyer. Great people. Incrdible training grounds. Check it out. Made my dog so much more under control when hunting. Got the first woodcock of the season last night.

I don't know of any training clubs what so ever. My buddy is just getting his trained by a guy in Potomac and we plan to work together once his is back. There are not any meets with in two hours of me, that I know of at all.

I'm not interested in competitions and titles, as I'll never breed. I just want a better hunting buddy. I probably would not fit in there anyways as I am not a serious as most trainers. This is just fun for me and the ones I have seen they take it so seriously. We let the dogs play and wrestle before training starts so it's fun for them also. It probably would not go over with the serious guys.
    If you can't have fun doing it, it's not worth doing ... or you're just doing it wrong!

Rob,

Most people their aren't trainers or breeders. Quite a few women who just enjoy a day with their dog. There are obviously some very serious people. But I feel very certain you'd enjoy the club. A fraction of the cost of a trainer. Besides, where else can your dog work with ducks and gun fire in the off season. Highly suggest you check one out. Perhaps, don't take your dog. Just go and check it out one day.

Five minutes on the internet I found this club; Northern Piedmont Retriever Club in Gettysburg: http://nprc.tripod.com/

That is less than an hour away. I may check it out.

Great! I hope you do. Good luck hunting this season. tomorrow morning is looking good.

Thanks, you too, We are hunting a field, so only dry retrieves.

I e-mailed Frank at the club and my buddy and me might both bring our dogs.

Default another lab from duck hill on maryland's western shore

hi.
    i have a 13 month old yellow/red lab female--tilda--from duck hill. i spend my summers at cove point, between solomon's island and prince frederick. anyway, i'm amazed how much boomer and tilda look alike, although they have very different parents. tilda's parents are 'sailor' and fiona. i have tilda only for a pet and i don't know if dogs that hunt can just play with other dogs or if that would spoil their training. anyway, it would be fun to get them together.
    brigid quinn