Thread: Whelping Box

Default Whelping Box

Alright I have read a million box plans but since there are more experienced breeders on her I wanted some opinions. What is the best type of box to build? Or does anyone know of anyone that sells them? I've been reading lots of books but none have really given exact stuff to buy, etc. So many people have suggested a baby pool but then I can't put the railing up to prevent pups from getting squished. Also I would think that would be to unsturdy for pups to walk on as they grew? I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks

cturn,

Is your young bitch expecting? Did you breed her to AKC field lines to go with her bloodlines or did you go to other bloodlines? Give us the details!

I have never used a kiddie pool, but have heard that suggested a lot. My whelping box was built in 1994 and is still in service. Between litters it is used as a dog bed on a nightly basis. I made it from 7/16 and 5/8 inch exterior grade plywood and 4" X 4" supports in the corners. It is 4' X 4' square. It has a "roof" about two feet high that covers 3/4 of the bed. I made the pig-rails out of 1" dowel rods. It is overbuilt and weighs a ton! It's more than I want to move, but I can if I need to. I don't know if it is ideal. I've replaced the "front step" where the door is a few times. It is a 2" x 4" and the pups tend to teeth on it and wear it down over time. For the door I have two pieces of 1" x 6" pine boards hinged so I can make the entrance 6" if the door is down or 12" if the door is up. The door latches with two small hook and eye latches. I have used Thompson's water seal on the floor to help keep it from absorbing moisture.

I don't know if that helps or not. What designs are you considering?

Swack

Swack, cturn

I would like to see a diagram of yours. I have looked at alot of designs and got to see one in use, but never seen designs for it anywhere. It had a tower in the middle for a heat lamp, an outer box and an inner box. The inner box was for 1-3 week old pups to stay in and was removable after that. It had PVC pig rails in the outer box. I need one shortly to.

Tony
    P.S. I have used kiddy pools did not like them. The bitch was always sliding her feet to get out of it. This led to some stepped on pups.
    When you start trying to make it complicated you make the training job more difficult.
    Robert Milner

Thanks for the details of your box Swack it's actually one of the better plans I've heard that I like. As for details I found another AKC dog with the Candlewoods lines and can list more when I have his pedigree in front of me. He is an older hunting dog and his owners are wanting a puppy out of him as well as some other hunting buddies that like him & Lola. We are just waiting for her to come in heat now and then hopefullly a nice, healthy litter of pups. One of the guys wanting a pup from her owns a kennel and breeds Border Collies so we're going to leave the two dogs there and let him oversee the breeding. I am so nervous now that she actually has a planned "date" that I feel like I'm having the puppies. I thought I was ready but now I'm re-reading all the books, asking the million questions...being a 1st time mom instinct should kick in right?

cturn,

Are you referring to you or your dog's instincts?!? It sounds like you're the nervous first time mother too! If you mean the dog, yes, she will know what to do after she licks her first born puppy. I always oversee the whelping and it seems there is always a look of surprise on the first time mom's face as I hold her first born pup up for her to lick clean. Then a look of satisfaction and contentment replaces the look of surprise.

I have a friend who bought one of my pups a few years back who has now bred her to a British stud. He is less than three weeks till delivery. I think I may be "on call". He has had several questions, but I think there will be more to come. Feel free to ask any questions you may have as well. I like to share what knowledge I can!

Swack

P.S. Let me know if you need any more details on the whelping box. I look forward to more info on the stud.
    Last edited by Swack; 03-09-2010 at 09:34 PM.