Thread: Hello from South Alabama

Default Hello from South Alabama

Hey everyone,

I am looking to find my first dog that I bought myself. I grew up with a family dog that was a cocker spaniel and regrettably he passed away last year. I have always loved labs, and my sister's fiance has a very well trained black Labrador that he hunts with, which led to my decision to find a great breeder. To be honest I'm a little intimidated by trying to figure out how to find the right dog for me, but I'm trying to learn everything I can. I'm very active in the outdoors and will be getting into duck hunting soon. I hope I learn a lot in my time here!

Thesynthetic

thesynthetic, Welcome to our Forum!

Please feel free to chime in and ask questions.

Susan

Welcome!

Lots of lessons to learn. Feel free to ask questions.

Swack
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is bacteria."

Benjamin Franklin

Glad to have you aboard...the more, the merrier !
    Brian

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - A. Einstein.

Default Welcome To Forum

Thesynthetic,
    Welcome to this forum. I hope you learn much about waterfowl hunting and dogs.

Irishwhistler

Hello,

I've been around a lot of different types of labs at the AKC hunt test. I own a DH lab. So, I'm probably biased. Here's the 60,000 ft view on the various types of labs.

English Labs: Conformation (looks) are what they're about. Short, fat (in my opinion). Good housedog. Mellow
    American Labs/Field trial labs: Big, strong, fast, hyper. Think of the lab in "Marley and Me". Only professional trainers should own these. Stay away. Don't buy any lab from field trial stock. Unless you want to spend a furtune to have it trainied.
    British Lab (Duck Hill/Wild Rose kennel); Easy to train, smaller-though not as small as the "English/conformation/show labs". Great disposition, bred for hunt drive, intelligence, bidable nature. You can read all about this on Duck Hill's web site.

The book by Mike Stewart of Wild Rose kennel list six different types of labs and there dominant traits. You may want to reference his book.

R, Steve