Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food . . . Again!

Quote Originally Posted by leo455 View Post
    mlp, Where do you live?
    I live in northwest alabama but to find anything I've got to drive about an hour or so to either Tuscaloosa or tupelo ms. I called tractor supply today and asked about there selection and they are pushing a food called 4-health but it is made by diamond. and I would like to find something that diamond doesn't make.

Mlp,
    You can go to most companies websites and find dealer listing. Makes your driving around easier.
    Tony
    When you start trying to make it complicated you make the training job more difficult.
    Robert Milner

Hey guys, I've bragged on it before and still LOVE INNOVA & they also make EVO for hunting season if you want to increase the fat intake and higher protein. At hunt test we get lots of complements on the coats & their teeth look great. The only problem is it must taste as good coming out as it does going it because the female doesn't do it but my males try to eat it the second time around so I try to scoop ASAP. Even my mom has switched her house dogs over to it in the puppy & senior and is really impressed and she has finicky dogs.

cturn,

Good to hear from you again! The fellow who runs the store where I got my Orijen sells Innova and Evo and regards them highly. As I'm sure you know, both products are made by Natura. Evo was among the first grain-free dog foods. The only knock I have against Evo (besides the high price) is the high Ca and P levels.

If you've read this thread you know I had the same tastes good twice problem with Wellness Lrg Breed Puppy food. It is a frustrating problem. You try to give them the best food for their health and well-being and they want to eat S--t! I know the urge to clean up ASAP.

I just started Tess on the transition to Orijen Lrg Breed Puppy food yesterday night. I was pleased to find out that the store gives a 10% discount for multiple bag purchases and that Orijen has a breeder discount program for which I have applied. I won't have an opinion based on performance for awhile. It is the best formulation on paper that I have seen. I hope it is as good in a dog as it is on paper! I'll update you folks in the future.

Swack

Hey Swack,

It's good to be on here again, things have been crazy getting dogs ready for hunt test season and then the BIG decission to breed Lola (because I can't get her next title she comes in heat middle of every hunt test season). How have you been? I heard great things about Orijen too in alot of magazines, etc. but it was a good bit higher at our feed store so I figured I might as well stick to the Innova and I have heard that about EVO, the high Ca & P levels so you think even during hunting season I should just stick to the Innova vs. EVO?

cturn,

I've been good! You don't have to tell me about bitches coming into heat during hunt test season. My good girl Q came in three days before I left to go to Trail of Tears HRC test last weekend! Last fall she came in on the second day of their test! I guess those southern dogs turn her on!!!

I don't think the high Ca & P would be a great concern for adult dogs over a couple months during the hunting season, but I would avoid it with a growing pup and maybe even a young adult just to be safe.

Remember that higher protein and fat levels in a grain-free food don't necessarily mean a higher calorie food since it may have many fewer carbohydrate calories. For example, Taste of the Wild is much higher in protein and fat than the Large Breed puppy foods I have been using, but it is nearly identical in calories per cup. The calories just come from sources that a dog is better equipped to utilize.

Swack

Default Swack

Swack,

I know this is a long thread and prob. beating a dead Horse. but Swack I was wondering if it weren't for your dogs haveing a second meal, would you still feed Wellness?

Thanks,
    Karl
    Last edited by kgdj; 05-09-2010 at 10:13 AM.

I tried to read almost all the threats but man there is a lot, anyways I use to feed my dog nutro and her skin was real dry so I started feeding her raw food and my lab did not do good with it, but my other dogs did. I switched to Orijen Adult, $64 p/ 30 lb bag, it is 40% protein and its mostly meat. The food is awesome and all my dogs' coats are great and they love it. The stools are not as big, but one of my dogs has a lot of gas and it smells, so caution as to that side effect. None of them eat their own stools, but my lab when I am out in the trails use to eat horse stools im guessing because of the grain content so I taught her to leave it as soon as she ran up to it and it has worked fine.

kgdg,

I fed a litter of puppies Wellness Lrg. Breed Puppy and based on their growth and health, it is a good food. If I hadn't had the problem with tastey turds I would have stayed with it at least until the pups were ready to transition to an adult formula. However, read on to my response to fernando.

fernando,

I have been feeding Orijen Lrg. Breed Puppy food to my year old pup Tess for a little over two months now which means that she is starting on her third bag. She looks great! Thus far, I really like this food! Although she will still mess with her poop on occassion, it is fairly infrequent, and much better than it was with Wellness.

I really like the concept of a grain-free dog food. A Biologically Appropriate formula makes a lot of sense to me. If price were not an issue, I would be feeding Orijen to all of my dogs. The only problem (besides price) is that it messes up the dog food rotation that I have been using because I know of no other foods that I feel are comparable in quality to which I could rotate.

For those of you who have not checked out the Orijen website go to www.championpetfoods.com and click on Orijen. There is a lot of good information on that site, especially their 30 page white paper on Canine Nutrition.

Swack
    Last edited by Swack; 05-10-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Default Thank You

Thanks Swack,

Would you recomend the Orijin Large Br. puppy food aswell? Also what are your thoughts on how long too keep a pup on puppy food?

Do you give any supliments while feeding the Orijin?

Thanks for the help and the input,
    Karl