Thread: Uploading a picture

Default Uploading a picture

I have tried to upload a picture and the message I receive is my file exceeds the forum's limit. Can someone help me with this process. Thanks...Mark

Default Pixels & size of Image

Hi Mark - is the following link (regarding size restrictions for posting photos to the Duckhill Forum site) what you are asking about?

http://duckhillkennels.com/forums/ne...dc5ad3a48958f7

bmp 19.5 KB 620 280
    doc 19.5 KB - -
    gif 19.5 KB 620 280
    jpg 19.5 KB 620 280
    jpeg 19.5 KB 620 280

The first column column is file type (most folks will be posting jpg (jpeg) photos). The 2nd column is the physical size of the file (ie, the amt of size the file occupies on the hard drive), the 3rd column is the max width of the photo in pixels and the 4th column is the max height in pixels.

If your camera is taking photos with too many pixels then you need to adjust the number pixels on either your camera or in a photo program. Basically you are adjusting the resolution of the photo (lower resolution results in a smaller file size).

For example, my phone has an 8 Megapixel camera, I have to go into settings and adjust the resolution of the photo. My phone camera gives me options to adjust the photo to either 5 megapixel or 8 megapixel. Which means I could take the photo at 5mp but would still need to adjust the number of pixels thru a photo program so I could post it on the Duckhill forums.

Some of the older phones have cameras with less resolution (eg, 1.3 megapixels) so there might even be an adjustment on that camera to readily post the photo to this site).

Swack's photos of Beamer had few pixels so I didn't even need to adjust that aspect!

There is a free high-end photo program available for download (Gimp) which I use on my Linux machines. The link for the free windows download is:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

I use an old copy of Photoshop on windows because I took classes in Photoshop for making my advertisements when I had stallions and foals for sale.

To adjust the number of pixels in Gimp:

1 --Image -> "Image Properties" (will give info on physical dimensions (in pixels) & file size);

2- Image -> "Scale Image" then adjust the width and height of image in pixels;

3- Save image with a new name (I always add "sm" to the image so I know it is for the web).

Other photo programs have similar manipulations.

If you have any questions you can PM me. I hope this makes sense to you!

Susan

boobala,

I'm the last guy to answer this, but it seems to me that in a past discussion on the subject someone said they cut and pasted a link to their photo (on photobucket) into the forum and they were able to get around the size constraint. I'm sure someone can either expound on that fact if I remembered accurately or correct me if I'm wrong.

Swack
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is bacteria."

Benjamin Franklin

Swack -

What he's asking about is reducing the size of the photo so it can be uploaded onto the Duckhill Forum.

Resolution (the amount of information in a digital photo) is measured in the number of pixels. If you have ever looked at a digital photo and enlarged it, you will see that a photo is made of many little squares called "pixels". For a given physical size of a image, the more pixels the "better" the image to the eye.

Viewing images online requires less resolution (pixels).

If you go to the guidelines on the Duckhill Forum, they specifically state the file type (eg, "jpeg") and the maximum file size and physical dimensions which will be accepted for uploading.

Mark's question (if I am interpreting it correctly) was how do I reduce the size of the photo so it can be uploaded?

That question was what I attempted to answer in the previous diatribe.

Does Photobucket automatically reduce the size of the photo without telling the subscriber?????

Susan

boobala,

I think I did understand the question and the concept of photo resolution. Again, I'm not the guy to address the question, but I think someone said there is a way to get around the size restrictions of the duckhill forum site by linking to photobucket. My understanding was that it was because DH was not physically storing the photo, just linking to the photobucket or similar site.

I may be wrong, so for those who know please feel free to correct me and set the record straight. I don't know enough about posting photo's to fill a thimble. I'm just trying to relate something that was discussed on another thread on the subject. I don't have time now to search for that information. I'm just hoping Rick or one of you other picture posters can help boobala out if there is a way to simplify photo posting.

Swack
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is bacteria."

Benjamin Franklin

Swack -

I actually linked from my machine to the DH site for posting Beamer's photos (although I did put them
    on Photobucket initially. You don't have to go to Photobucket initially as long as the size requirements are met.

Guess more than one road leads to Rome!

Susan

This is Can-doo's wife, we have uploaded a photo to his latest post. We had to make it smaller to be abel to upload it. However on his post it makes it small, he wants to know how other people are posting bigger (full size) pictures on their posts! Please let us know if there is a way to make his picture bigger on his post! Thanks!