Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triple Skunked!!!

SWACK:

I am reading several threads that mention the upcoming field trial. Really sounds like a great time. Seems like there will be several people from this forum be there. I really wish I could attend. I would like to meet you guys. Problem is, hopefully I'll be picking up my pup the following weekend in MS. I'm not sure I could get a yard pass from my wife 2 long weekends in a row. I would really like to smell ya----I mean meet you.

Can--Doo

I wish I could take credit for the Acronym, but I believe that was Tony's doing (I'm not nearly that clever!).

I've been a keen observer (lurker, for the most part) on the DU Retriever forum for several years. Brits have taken a beating over there, particularly Mike Stewart and Wildrose Kennels. In fairness, it has been limited to a small group of field trial guys, but they've been quite vocal with their negative "observations" of the British dogs. The basic premis is that British dogs are not suitable for American Field Trials or Hunt Tests. My problem with this, is that the vast majority of retriever owners are not field trialers, but hunters. I firmly believe the British lines are generally more suitable for hunters, as opposed to most American field trial lines. My uncle is a great example. He's strictly a waterfowl hunter, and could care less about field trials. However, when he was ready for a retriever of his own, he was steered towards a local field-trial kennel. He bought a started dog, which turned out to be WAAAAY too hot for him. After she became the family pet, he bought a pup from the same kennel with the same result (yes, I've often questioned his decision-making ability). Although this is a well-respected kennel that produces some very competent field-trial dogs, they weren't the kind of animal you want to spend a day in the blind with. Ironically, I've seen newbies steered towards this very kennel on the DU forum. Another case in point are the "Cosmo" dogs. Cosmo is apparently a favorite stud of American field-trial lines. His pups tend to be very vocal, which again, does not favor the average hunter. Throw that in with the standard "reteivers need to be force-fetched and coller-conditioned" and the average Joe Hunter bites off more than he can chew, and becomes disenchanted with the whole idea of owning a retriever. These same newbies are almost always directed to purchase a pup with titled parents. This clearly is a disservice to our Brits, since few of the breeding animals here in the US have been titled. The few that are have British titles. My vision of a parent organization is to help dispel the myths surrounding British dogs, and potentially provide a venue in which to title our dogs. Maybe I'm way out there on this, but it seems like a good idea to me!
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

20 Fan,

Sorry for mis-crediting you with the zinger. Hey Leo455! What I told 20 Fan about your acronym goes double for you!

Didn't know Cosmo was a vocal dog. It's good to know these things before you buy or breed and find out too late. I don't even sit in a duck blind and I don't like a vocal retriever.

I can't argue that British dogs are poorly suited to AKC field trials and their minor leagues (AKC master hunt tests). I wouldn't even consider that claim derogatory toward British dogs, just a statement of fact. I liked your thoughtfully worded statement about British dogs being generally better suited to the average hunter, etc. It seems that the answer is to educate the dog buying public in general and hunting dog purchasers in particular to the differing traits of the American field trial retriever vs. the British field Labs and give them the information they need to choose the type of dog that best suits their needs.

An organization that could sanction trials to title dogs that succeed in a different type of trial that rewards the traits that hunters really value could be one avenue of disseminating that information. Whether the dogs are of British bloodlines or American bloodlines or a blend is of little importance as long as they meet the goals of a hunter and his family.

Swack

Default hotels

I live about 20 mins. from Mr.Milners and there is a hotel here in Oakland, TN and one closer in Somerville, TN for anyone coming in for the field trial. I plan on going just for the learning experiance, my dogs do Hunt tests but I would like to field trial my young female and if not her hopefully one of her pups when the time comes. I am out of town now but can provide the exact names of the hotels when I get back if anyone wants.

cturn,

Thanks! Any info would be appreciated!

Swack