Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple Skunked!!!

Default Triple Skunked!!!

Life can be exciting for a Forester and his dog pack. Today my dogs and I were inspecting several woods for a local seed corn company. It was a nice day, cold enough for the ground to be mostly frozen and sunny enough to be almost too warm for my winter coat. While checking out the tenth and final woods of the day my young dog P.D. started making game. His mother and aunt Annie noticed and joined him just in time to help corner a stink kitty! Before I realized what was happening it was too late! All three got a direct hit! P.D. was squinting his right eye and both bitches were frothing at the mouth!!! Good shooting! I'll bet that skunk is bragging to all of his buddies that he got a triple today!

As if that wasn't bad enough, I had a banquet to go to tonight and although I didn't touch the dogs, my wife asked me why I smelled like skunk when I got home. My Yukon XL that I often call my dog sled smells more like a skunk sled! It isn't too bad though. After the first couple of miles you become accustomed to it. But boy! When you first get in!!! Peee Uuuh!

Needless to say, I'm going to be trying out the Hydorgen Peroxide, Baking Soda, Dish Washing Liquid cure tomorrow. And I'll wash out the dog crates and air out the dog sled too. If it doesn't work well, at least you won't have to ask who I am at Robert's in April, you can tell it's me by the smell!

Swack

Default triple

Swack,

OOOhhh man. I guess we can call you S tinkie W ize A rsh C ritasizing K nowitall

Tony
    When you start trying to make it complicated you make the training job more difficult.
    Robert Milner

I’ve got that t-shirt myself. Glad to see you know the recipe, for years I was told to use tomato juice (in place of the dish soap). I don’t know what’s worse, skunk or having my dogs smell like a pizza. FWIW, the last time I used a really powerful dog shampoo in the mix and it worked as well as the dish soap.

I knew there was something I liked about you, how long have you been a forester? That was my major many moons ago (technically, Forest Game Mgt.) but after college I went into the Army so I never worked in the field.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dogsí nose is the bird huntersí eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Your wife let's you drive the Yukon?!?!?
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Flint,

I have been a Consulting Forester helping private landowners manage their woodlands in north-central Indiana for over 28 years. You missed out on all of the fun working in the field. You didn't get to see how many deer flies you could kill in one swipe or see if you could find a stand of stinging nettles that were taller than you. The women's olymic gymnast's may think that the balance beam is tough, but they should try it on a slippery log that isn't flat on top that is over a cold deep creek and their change of dry clothes is in the truck a half mile away! I could go on, but let me just say that the romantic view that most people have of a forester's life is seldom my reality. However, it does have it's good points. For example, how many of you get to take your dogs to work with you?

Swack

20Fan,

Two points.

Number One: I let my wife drive her Buick LeSabre.

Number Two: After having three skunked dogs in my Yukon XL, I'm not sure I could make my wife drive it if I wanted to!

Swack

Swack, I see you're planning on making the trip to Robert's in April. Are you planning on coming in Friday evening or Saturday morning?
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

20 Fan,

I'll probably be coming in on Friday. Are you planning on being there?

Swack

I plan to drive in on Friday evening, and am in the process of doing a hotel search. Brownsville is about 25 miles from Robert, and has several hotels listed. That's where I'm currently looking. Maybe Robert will give us his recommendations for hotels, etc.

I'm not entering my pup, but will bring her with me. It should be a great opportunity to expose her to a group of dogs, and lots of activity. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, and seeing what the consensus is for a British Lab Association. Looking at the Retriever Classifieds in the most recent DU edition, it's apparant that British Labs are gaining in popularity. Add in the continued negative propaganda from many in the American Field Trial community, and it seems clear there needs to be a cohesive, governing body to direct and represent both breeders and owners of British Labs. This organization could possibly hold an annual National Field Trial, etc. Personally, I am all for it. I'm also very interested to see a British-style Field Trial, and see how they're run.
    ~Rex Carr

20 Fan,

I haven't gotten around to looking at lodging yet. Hopefully Robert will give us some recommendations.

I'm not running a dog either. I have not trained my dogs for a British style trial and I know that I would be disappointed in their performance, though truth be known, it would be the trainer's fault, not the dog's fault. Besides, I'm not sure that my dogs would have an opportunity to show their strong suit. I know that rabbits and hares are often included in the game that British Labs are required to retrieve, but I'm not sure if they use skunks or not!

I don't think I'm bringing a dog. Q will be about a week away from her delivery date, so she should stay home. P.D., who turned one year of age this month, would benefit from the exposure to a hunt test/field trial environment, but I'm not sure I will have time to deal with him. Robert has asked me to help with the trial, so I should probably be prepared to focus my attention there and not be distracted by the needs of a dog.

I'm also looking forward to meeting you and anyone else from the gang who attends the trial. I don't know if there will be a get together Friday evening prior to the trial for the workers or if it will include handlers and the gallery too. Most likely there will be something on Saturday evening. I'm sure Robert will be forthcoming with more details as the time draws nearer. Regardless, let's plan to find time to sit down over a cold one and get to know each other in person.

It will be interesting to see where the organization goes. I don't see a lot of criticisim from the American field trial folks, at least in print. Where have you seen it and what do they say?

Swack

P.S. I have a criticism of your Acronym: S tinkie W ize A rsh C ritasizing K nowitall. I don't criticize! I just point out people's misunderstanding of the facts!!!
    Last edited by Swack; 02-26-2009 at 01:37 PM.