Thread: How to quiet the frantic whiner?

Default How to quiet the frantic whiner?

My female lab is not enjoyable to hunt with in a boat, she whines excessively, she also whines before she eats, she whines all the way to the lake to hunt, she whines all the way to the training pond, it is a frantic type of whining. Any tips on how to stop this. At this point I am through hunting with her because she is so obnoxious to be around.

There is a lot of genetics involved with the behavior of whining in anticipation of retrieves.
    I have only seen and experienced success at changing it when it recognized and changed at a young age, before the dog has the opportunity to make it a strong habit thru self reinforcement.
    The few times I have gotten in a young dog that was a whiner, I was able to change it by programming the dog on the behavior sequence:

Sitting calmly and quietly produces an opportuntity to retrieve.

At the same time you must be very diligent in insuring that the dog never gets a retrieve following a whine.

When the dog has become entrenched in the behavior the probabilities of changing it decrease. By the way, punishment has a very, very low probability of changing the whining behavior.

Here is the way you start the programming on sitting calmly and quietly produces an opportunity to retrieve:

Steadying with Buccleuch Temperance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8frpx5lPY

Good Luck,
    Robert

Robert:

Thanks for the reply. I most defietly think it is genetic, then as you say not dealing with it early on, had I been following your system with the non retreives this problem may have not been as severe or even come about. I will know better next time! And it will be with one of your dogs!

Thanks!